by Imed Bouchrika, Phd
Chief Data Scientist & Head of Content
Cloud-hosted applications are now performing business critical functions, with 73% of organizations using multiple clouds (Splunk, 2022). Personally, all of the apps that I use are software-as-a-service (SaaS) or web-based. To say that cloud has taken over IT infrastructure is an understatement because, in reality, IT infrastructure is now in the cloud.
This presents a significant opportunity for backup software to deliver more services across all types of platforms, whether on-premise, cloud-based, or hybrid. The increasing importance of cyber security programs and initiatives is apparent in the highly connected business landscape. Since data is the main source of business intelligence that informs strategy, organizations are utilizing all the tools available to protect this asset.
This guide presents a list of the best backup software that offers specific backup options for the unique needs of organizations. Key features that provide uninterrupted duplication of data, as well as tools that protect critical assets, are listed for you to have a clear guide in choosing the best backup software for your team. Backup software statistics and trends are also provided for context. Where available, the price is also mentioned to aid in your evaluation.
Best Backup Software Table of Contents
- Backup Software Statistics
- Backup Software Trends
- List of Best Backup Software
Backup Software Statistics
Accidental deletion, power outages, and spilling coffee over my laptop—these are just a few of the instances when I felt eternally grateful for backup software. Thus far, I have never been asked to ransom the records of my chat history and email. For big corporations that keep huge amounts of data, however, the challenge is different and more complicated than spilled coffee.
The unprecedented digital transformation forced organizations to make new strategic approaches to cyber security. The following backup software statistics paint a picture of an industry that is evolving to accommodate new methods of securing data. The adoption of cloud-based architecture delivered benefits that improved overall operations. However, managing the complexity and cost of a multi-cloud environment proved more challenging.
As a result, security teams are falling behind, with threats getting exponentially more sophisticated as agreed by 38% of IT heads. Making this more challenging is having a security stack that has become overwhelmingly complex, which is another challenge identified by 30% of IT teams, with 28% admitting that moving workloads to the public cloud has made it more difficult to monitor attacks (Splunk, 2022).
Source: Splunk State of Security 2022
Currently, there are multiple factors affecting cybersecurity efforts. Among IT people, 54% experience monthly outages, which result in downtime, 48% point to the growing number of cybercriminals, and 44% see the increased reliance on data as a major factor affecting cybersecurity (CompTIA, 2022). One major driver is the hourly cost of downtime for business-critical apps which is estimated at approximately $200,000. Given this figure, the average annual cost of downtime tied to cybersecurity attacks for organizations today is $33.6 million (Splunk, 2022).
To address this, businesses are firming up the objectives of their cybersecurity strategies, with 72% focusing on initiatives that will protect critical assets, 66% on protecting data, and 58% on minimizing disruption (CompTIA, 2022). Among organizations today, the top driver for backing up SaaS data is to reduce risk (50%), to protect against user error (20%), and to mitigate risks associated with ransomware attacks (15%). Protecting data is one major reason influencing backup software trends among SaaS users (Spanning, 2022).
Source: Spanning SaaS Backup and Recovery Report 2022
Backup Software Trends
Keeping and protecting backups is the primary method of avoiding data loss by small and big companies. However, gone are the days when performing a backup is as simple as plug-and-play. With the migration to cloud-based services, protecting data requires a new set of tools. The following backup software trends reflect the strategies being adopted by organizations in order to minimize downtime in case of malware attacks.
- Increased need for cloud data security. As of 2022, 86% of organizations use multiple cloud platforms to store their data across IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. However, 76% of organizations agree that tracking data across SaaS platforms can become highly difficult. Cloud data security is a major concern in 2022 as more work is needed to secure data in the cloud. In fact, a survey revealed that only 4% of security and IT leaders think that all of their cloud data are secure (Cloud Security Alliance, 2022).
- Adoption of zero trust. The use of mobile devices and cloud computing drastically altered the data security perimeter. In looking for a comprehensive approach to addressing a wide range of cybersecurity challenges, the adoption of zero trust has been identified as the most viable solution. Among mid-sized companies, 33% have a zero-trust framework in place (CompTIA, 2022). As a cybersecurity strategy, zero trust involves many discrete tools and practices. As of 2022, among the cybersecurity practices in organizations were security monitoring and analytics (50%), incident detection and response (48%), and threat intelligence (48%) (CompTIA, 2022).
- Growth of BaaS/DRaaS. Backup as a service (BaaS) and disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS) are known to have the ability to deliver operational and economic efficiencies. It also ensures data survivability from disaster and ransomware attacks. Among organizations, 58% use managed backup (BaaS) while 42% initially used self-managed cloud storage but eventually switched to BaaS.
- Integrating cybersecurity with business operations. The growing reliance on data and the need to maintain compliance with changing regulations is forcing enterprises and even small businesses to include cybersecurity in overall business policy. This move towards accepting cyber security as a critical component of digital transformation, however, entails dealing with a number of hurdles such as the lack of budget for security as identified by 40% of organizations while 36% cited the prioritization of other technology initiatives as a possible challenge in taking steps toward securing data (CompTIA, 2022).
Source: CompTIA State of Cybersecurity 2022
List of Best Backup Software
While backup software does not prevent cyber attacks, having this platform in place ensures that your workload is duplicated and kept safe at all times. This will significantly reduce downtime, and enable you to keep your operations up and running with minimal disruption. The Research.com team identified the following backup software as among the best based on backup automation tools, recovery tools, replication capabilities, malware detection, and platform flexibility.
1. Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Backup & Replication is a single backup platform for all applications, workloads, and data both in the cloud or on-premise. It provides flexible, simple, and reliable data protection that involves no downtime. The native immutability and instant recovery features of Veeam Backup & Replication ensure your safety from cyber threats.
By helping you seamlessly migrate to a hybrid cloud, Veeam Backup & Replication sees to it that you are able to avoid lock-ins and reduce costs and complexity. This cloud-ready platform provides fast and secure backup for your entire system.
Veeam Backup & Replication Key Features:
- Automates workload backup across cloud and on-premise
- Hardware agnostic solutions provide ultimate flexibility
- Native backup recovery to centralized AWS, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud
- Offers full or item-level recovery of operating systems, databases, and apps
- Ensures recovery across multiple platforms
- Malware detection tool automatically scans backups
- Protects your data against ransomware and cyber threats
2. Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud
Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud is a backup software for service providers that is equipped with the Acronis Active Protection Technology. It has AI-powered anti-ransomware technology with a built-in automatic recovery system. This backup software uses a set of security metrics to identify gaps and improve overall security.
Through scanning client machines for vulnerabilities, Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud ensures that there will be no window for cyber criminals to exploit apps and OS. For remote workers, Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud offers prioritized patching and protection for mission-critical telecommute apps.
Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud Key Features:
- Offers multiple backup types
- Includes patching and protection for remote workers
- Flexible storage options that accommodate client requirements
- Controls data transfers through the clipboard control tool
- Granular, context-aware control prevents the leakage of sensitive information
- Helps organizations keep sensitive information safe
By quote. The vendor offers a 15-day free trial.
3. IDrive Online Backup
IDrive Online Backup is a backup software for PCs, Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Android devices that can be managed from a single account. All your files and folders are synced in real-time across all devices through the system’s Cloud Drive.
A physical storage option is offered for quick backup and retrieval of data via the IDrive Express tool. For a historical data review, IDrive Online Backup uses snapshots and versioning and retains up to 30 previous versions. A web-based console is included for data backup management.
IDrive Online Backup Key Features:
- Manages data backups, restores, and app settings via a web-based console
- Retains up to 30 previous versions of all files
- Performs sector-level and file-level backup
- Automatically recognizes the modified parts of files for backup
- Provides backup for multiple devices
- Syncs in real-time across all devices
- Quick backup and retrieval of data
The subscription cost starts at $3.71 per year for one user with 100GB of storage. IDrive offers a Free Plan that provides a maximum of 10GB backup space.
4. Druva Data Resiliency Cloud
Druva Data Resiliency Cloud is a SaaS backup software that secures, protects, and streamlines data governance. It redefines data resiliency by providing the only at-scale SaaS platform for the multi-cloud environment. Across all physical and virtual workloads, Druva Data Resiliency Cloud is a single and unified console for data management.
This platform bridges the gap in protection by modernizing legacy systems and providing on-premise data protection solutions. Among the backup tools are for Microsoft 365, ransomware recovery, hybrid cloud backup, AWS backup, and disaster recovery.
Druva Data Resiliency Cloud Key Features:
- Centralizes data governance
- Provides cross-cloud recovery
- Offers automatic ransomware protection
- Includes multi-layer cyber defense with threat detection
- Promotes flexibility through a consumption-based pricing
- Displays a unified view of all backup data
Pricing for SaaS apps starts at $2/user/month, $8/user/month for endpoints, and $7/server/month for AWS infrastructure. The data center is priced per TB.
5. Veritas Backup Exec
Veritas Backup Exec is a cost-effective, fast, and unified backup software that protects virtual, physical, and cloud data. It keeps your data secure and available all the time even while you are performing a backup.
This backup software includes fully integrated support for the protection and recovery of Microsoft 365 workloads, including Exchange and OneDrive. The Ransomware Resilience feature protects backups hosted on a media server from being modified.
Veritas Backup Exec Key Features:
- Offers a unified solution for virtual, physical, and hybrid cloud environments
- Simplifies data protection and eliminates multiple-point product cost
- Provides an immediately usable copy of the server and data
- Integrates physical-to-virtual (P2V) and virtual-to-physical (V2P) recovery
- Deduplication everywhere allows for the protection of more data
- Secures data through industrial-strength encryption and compliance
6. Datto Backupify
Datto Backupify is a leader in cloud-to-cloud backup that offers the widest suite of automated features. It is easy to use and provides consistent and reliable backups with unlimited storage. Datto Backupify covers Google Workspace backups and Microsoft 365 backups.
Among the solutions offered by Datto Backupify are data retention, ransomware, and SharePoint backup. This platform helps reduce personal and company risk in the cloud and helps restore data due to accidental or malicious deletion, and ransomware attacks.
Datto Backupify Key Features:
- Partners with Google Vault for data retention
- Provides data retention for Office 365
- Prevents the spread of ransomware to SaaS apps
- Delivers discovery search for G Suite and Office 365 users
- Ensures Sharepoint data is protected and accessible
- Allows for an individual item, file, and container level backup and restores
Keepit is a backup software that provides backup for Microsoft and Azure AD. It protects your all SaaS data including emails, chat history, and files. This global backup provider covers Microsoft 365, Salesforce, Dynamics 365, and G Suite. It is a single service that covers all backup needs.
Keepit provides fully automated data protection for core SaaS applications. It has a universal restore view that gives the user control of multiple restore options. Keepit is a single vendor-neutral platform that provides backup and recovery.
Keepit Key Features:
- Stores data in a vendor-neutral cloud
- Ensures unparalleled security with blockchain-based storage and file system
- Minimizes risk with fast information discovery
- Restores data fast through granular search and restore features
- Integrates your current systems with API-first architecture
- Offers cost-effective and scalable pricing
Pricing starts at $2.95/set/month with one-year data retention. Keepit also offers a 30-day free trial.
8. Rewind Backups
Rewind Backups is an on-demand backup and restoration platform that safeguards your IP with automated data backups. It enables you to recover quickly from simple and complex data mistakes while at the same time mitigating the risk of data loss and downtime.
Unlike other backup software, Rewind protects individual account-level data. The account-level and item-level restores provide full backup coverage. Rewind is SOC 2 compliant and keeps your system audit-ready.
Rewind Backups Key Features:
- Provides automated daily backups
- Syncs backups to your cloud storage
- Facilitates rapid, self-serve restores
- Centralizes all backups across your organization
- Allows you to choose between EU-based or US-based servers
- Includes an audit log that covers backups, restores, logins, logouts, account creations, and account deletions
While the pricing largely depends on the type of platform, the subscription cost starts at $39/month for ecommerce sites or $5.67/file/month for SaaS platforms.
9. Vembu BDR Suite
Vembu BDR Suite is a cost-effective backup and recovery software for SaaS applications, data centers or private clouds, endpoints, and cloud workloads. It offers a reliable data protection solution through application-aware backup and agentless VM image backup and replication.
For Hyper-V virtual machines, Vembu BDR Suite performs incremental backups through resilient change tracking and automated backup verification. It provides instant recovery at the VM, file, or application-item level.
Vembu BDR Suite Key Features:
- Provides solutions for virtualized data centers, public cloud, and SaaS apps
- Offers subscription and perpetual license models
- Continuously runs backup for maximum data protection
- Provides flexible retention policies
- Includes inbuilt encryption and compression in flight and at rest
- Restores selected user mailbox or individual mails for Gmail
Pricing for Vembu BDR Suite starts at $12/user/year for SaaS backup.
10. EaseUS Data Recovery
EaseUS Data Recovery is a complete backup and recovery software for Windows, Mac, hard drives, USB, and more. The EaseUS data recovery wizard is a handy tool for accidental file deletion, virus attacks, sudden system crashes, and unexpected power outages.
Offering effective data recovery solutions for individual users and enterprise and service providers, EaseUS Data Recovery offers other partition recovery, MS SQL recovery, and Exchange recovery. It also provides advanced backup and disk imaging for home and business users.
EaseUS Data Recovery Key Features:
- Manages all VMs and endpoint backups from a single location
- Deploys and configures system backups instantly
- Facilitates automatic backup methods for home and business users
- Protects business data and reduces downtime
- Ensures data protection by making a complete image backup
- Provides multipath backup or economic cloud backup
Pricing starts at $69.95/month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
11. Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup protects your data and provides ransomware protection by deleting criminally encrypted files. It eliminates malware and quickly restores a good copy of your data. Barracuda Backup restores your systems fast whether from physical appliances, virtual servers, offsite locations, or the cloud.
From any device, Barracuda Backup can recover data. You can choose a snapshot in time or recover a set of affected files. The simple and flexible deployment options ensure that you have a backup running in no time. With Barracuda, backed-up data can be replicated to the offsite location of your choice.
Barracuda Backup Key Features:
- Supports physical and virtual restores
- Offers unlimited cloud storage plus, offsite vaulting
- Includes support for 256-bit AES encryption of data at rest and in transit
- Backs up mission-critical servers every 15 minutes
- Spins up a virtual machine in minutes for recovered data
- Replicates data using the Barracuda Cloud
By quote. The vendor offers a 14-day free trial.
12. AvePoint Cloud Backup
AvePoint Cloud Backup is a backup software for Microsoft 365, Salesforce, Dynamics 365, Power Platform, Google Workspace, and Azure. This cloud backup solution lets you bounce back from data loss by providing cloud-to-cloud backup and ensures anytime access, and long-term retention, and prevents data loss.
AvePoint Cloud Backup offers multi-cloud backup, is 100% SaaS, and keeps your data fully protected. It drives IT efficiency, reduces risk, and drives productivity. Even in the event of ransomware, AvePoint Cloud Backup minimizes downtime by performing a quick restoration.
AvePoint Cloud Backup Key Features:
- Ensures recovery from complex data loss scenarios
- Allows for full data control with cloud-to-cloud backup
- Guarantees offline access during service outages
- Offers flexible, granular roll-back that avoids data loss upon restore
- Provides consistent protection with 100% SaaS backup
- Secures data with built-in storage and encryption
By quote. The vendor offers a 30-day free trial.
13. Magnus Box
Magnus Box is a backup software exclusively designed for technology service providers, computer repair providers, and managed service providers (MSPs) worldwide. From a central dashboard, Magnus Box allows users to remotely manage and control endpoint backups from a central dashboard.
This 100% white label backup software includes a creatable USB recovery wizard, HIPAA-compliant storage in the US and EU, and a free SSL server certificate. the client-side deduplication of Magnus Box saves storage space and does not require full re-uploads.
Magnus Box Key Features:
- Protects entire discs and partitions for full system recovery
- Restores your system to either VM, physical, or the cloud
- Creates a backup for files and folders in Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Creates a backup for files that utilize a VSS writer
- Provides server monitoring and maintenance
The platform fee of Magnus Box is $45, with additional fees for add-on services.
14. C2 Backup
C2 Backup for individuals and businesses is a platform that provides full protection for Windows and Mac devices. For individuals, C2 Backup creates a backup for system configuration, user settings, and applications. It allows you to secure multiple versions of all your documents, photos, videos, and audio files.
For businesses, C2 Backup protects on-premise and cloud workloads from a central location. It effectively secures mission-critical data using highly configurable features. C2 Backup offers enterprise-grade security and reliability.
C2 Backup Key Features:
- Restores all devices with bare metal recovery
- Minimizes bandwidth use by creating a backup for altered data only
- Automates data protection with event-based backup
- Controls backup and restores permissions
- Allows custom retention of data
- Monitors all backup tasks
Pricing starts at $49.95/month for 5TB of storage. C2 Backup also offers a 30-day free trial.
15. Vinchin Backup and Recovery
Vinchin Backup and Recovery is an easy-to-use powerful VM backup software that protects workloads, including native, remote, and cloud, with zero business interruption. With Vinchin, you can set a full backup, incremental backup, or differential backup depending on your requirements.
Vinchin Backup and Recovery performs image-based and agentless backups by creating an image of the entire operating system. It directly protects the VM through a hypervisor and unlike other platforms, there is no need to install any agent on the VM. Vinchin Backup and Recovery also creates multiple threads for data transmission, which improves overlap processing speed.
Vinchin Backup and Recovery Key Features:
- Creates multiple threads for faster data transmission
- Performs fast incremental backup, which saves storage usage
- Directly transfers data between production storage and backup storage
- Deduplicates and compresses data before writing to save storage space
- Protects critical data through smart backup technology
- Facilitates agentless and image-based backup without installing any agent on the VM
Secure Your Data With The Best Backup Software
It pays to be proactive when it comes to securing your data. Compared to starting all over again after a system crash, having backup software in place ensures fast recovery in case of malware infection. The list of backup software we have provided includes platforms that offer essential as well as unique features. This software offer protection for all types of environments, support for applications, and flexibility that allows you to choose where to store your data. Some even utilize blockchain technology to enhance security.
While there is no definite way to completely avoid cyberattacks, performing regular backups and adopting a platform that continuously duplicates your data is a sure way to secure your workload and reduce downtime. Data backup software teams can manage and mitigate threats, and help you recover fast.
- Cloud Security Alliance (2022). Understanding Cloud Data Security and Priorities. https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/artifacts/understanding-cloud-data-security-and-priorities
- CompTIA (2022). State of Cybersecurity 2022. https://www.comptia.org/content/research/cybersecurity-trends-research
- Spanning (2022). The SaaS Backup and Recovery Report 2022: What’s New in the SaaS Universe. https://spanning.com/blog/saas-backup-recovery-report-2022
- Splunk (2022). The State of Security 2022. https://www.splunk.com/en_us/campaigns/state-of-security.html