Licenses and Permits (2022)

You’ve cleared some of the initial hurdles on the way to launching your own business.

You’ve committed yourself, chosen and registered a business structure and name. Everything’s off to a good start.

Before you race too far ahead, you need to find out whether any aspect of your operation requires a license or permit and then factor into your plans the time it will take to go through the permitting process.

All kinds of businesses operate in Minnesota with no special permission or constraints. But others are closely regulated and may require one or more business, occupational or environmental licenses or permits.

(Video) Restaurant Licenses and Permits

Licenses and permits protect consumers and advance broad social goals that benefit everyone – environmental protections for land, water and air, for instance. Generally speaking, licenses and permits:

  • Certify the competency of individuals in business, trades and professions
  • Ensure the safety and effectiveness of products and processes
  • Encourage or restrict competition in a specific industry
  • Help prevent fraud and ensure financial solvency in business transactions
  • Control market access or the development or implementation of new technology
  • Promote responsible use of natural resources, especially non-renewable resources
  • Authorizes businesses to serve as the state's agent for collecting revenue

Do You Need a State License?

Typically issued at state and local levels (though there are some federal licenses), a business license is a legal authorization to operate in a city county or state. In most cases, you’ll pay a fee to the licensing jurisdiction.

To find out whether you’ll need any state-required licenses, permits or registrations to operate your business start by using Minnesota Elicensing, the state’s licensing web portal. This site is easy to use and conveniently lets you access licensing information by activity, administering agency, name of license, or with a keyword search.

License Minnesota provides information on more than 750 licenses/permits/registrations/certifications administered by 47 state agencies. Get the details on permits, registrations, certifications, credentialing and other forms of approval granted by state agencies and boards as a condition of doing business. That includes conducting a trade, profession or occupation, pursuing a recreational activity in the state, as well as the right to use and operate certain equipment and vehicles.

Local Licensing

In addition to the licensing requirements imposed by the state, many local governments also require licenses for certain kinds of businesses.

In some cases, cities and counties may require a general business license that involves no more than registration and payment of a fee. In other cases, it may involve compliance with local ordinances specific to a particular type of business.

(Video) Licenses and Permits when buying a business. How to Buy a small business.

For instance, commercial building contractors are not licensed by the state, but many cities require them to register with the city and be bonded before the cities will issue building permits or conduct inspections of their projects.

Larger cities like Minneapolis and St. Paul have licensing departments. Smaller ones may rely on the city clerk. In any case, a phone call or visit to your city or county offices can help you determine whether or not you need to meet local requirements.

Many local governments make business license information and application forms available online. You just download and complete the documents, mail them in or file them in person.

Some cities allow you to complete the entire process online. Once your application is reviewed and approved, you may pay your fees through a secure website and print your license.

No matter how you apply for a license, it’s easier if you all have of the necessary information at hand before you begin completing the applications, including tax or other business identification numbers, certificates of assumed name under which the business will run, and business organizational documents filed with the secretary of state.

Other Regulations

There may be other permits you must obtain or regulations with which you must comply, depending on your business. You need to know whether your business must comply with local zoning restrictions, whether it requires environmental permitting and review, or whether you’ll be subject to performance bond requirements. It’s important to remember that certain issues may affect you even if you operate a business out of your home.

(Video) Do You Need A License For Vending? Permits And Insurance

Contact local zoning boards or planning commissions to determine if there are any regulations surrounding the space in which you plan to operate your business. Zoning ordinances of each local community spell out the land-use rules and the procedures for petitioning for a variance.

Remember, it pays to ask questions about licensing, permitting, registration and regulation early in the planning stages. Be thorough. Err on the side doing too much homework. If you overlook or ignore these issues, you place your business at risk of being fined or shut down until you comply.

Federal Regulations

If your business is involved in activities supervised and regulated by a federal agency then you may need to obtain a federal license or permit. A few examples:

  • Agriculture - If you import or transport animals, animal products, biologics, biotechnology or plants across state lines, you’ll need to apply for a permit from the U.S. Department of Agriculture
  • Alcoholic Beverages - If you manufacture, wholesale, import, or sell alcoholic beverages at a retail location, you will need to register your business and obtain certain federal permits (for tax purposes) with the U.S. Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
  • Aviation - If you're business operates aircraft, transports goods or people via air, or aircraft maintenance you’ll need to apply for one or more licenses and certificates from the Federal Aviation Administration
  • Firearms, Ammunition and Explosives - Businesses that manufacture, deal and import firearms, ammunition or explosives must obtain federal licenses and permits
  • Commercial Fishing - are required to obtain a license for fishing activities from the NOAA Fisheries Service
  • Mining and Drilling - Businesses involved in drilling for natural gas, oil or other mineral resources on federal lands may be required to obtain a drilling permit from the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement
  • Transportation and Logistics - If you operate an oversize or overweight vehicle, you’ll need to abide by the U.S. Department of Transportation guidelines on maximum weight.

Environmental Permits

Several state agencies are responsible for protecting the environment. If your business generates hazardous waste, solid waste, electronic waste, food waste, discharges wastewater or storm water, or emits a wide variety of air pollutants, you may need a permit.

Certain types of industries are regulated under the Clean Water Act, even if they discharge their wastewater to a municipal sanitary system. Examples of these industries are: pulp and paper mills; most food processing plants; textile mills; chemical manufacturing plants; electroplating companies; plastics and other synthetics manufacturers; fertilizer plants; metal manufacturing plants; steam power plants; companies producing leather, glass, asbestos, rubber, and timber products.

Bonding Requirements

Some businesses in Minnesota are required to carry certain types of bonds, which are similar to an insurance policies between a bonding company and the business that purchases the bond. The bonds protect customers and clients against financial loss caused by the business.

(Video) How to Get a Permit to Sell Food From home [ Licenses, Permits, Insurance]

Businesses ranging from electrical contractors to residential roofers and a lot in between have bonding requirements.

Performance bonds guarantee a company's capacity to perform a specific task and provide financial guarantees that services will be provided and contracts fulfilled according to mutual terms. When a principal breaks a bond’s terms, the harmed party can make a claim on the bond to recover losses.

Some public and private contracts can require fidelity bonds, which guarantee against loss (like theft of money or property) due to the dishonesty of employees.

Businesses that contract to provide goods or services to the state or other public agencies within the state generally have performance bonds. These bonding requirements are established by state law.

Bonds are obtained through insurance agents or through a bonding company. The cost of a bond is a portion of the face amount of the bond and will depend in part on the risk to the bonding company in covering the potential loss.

Learn More

Consultants at our Small Business Assistance Office can help you understand more about the basics of business licensing. And our network of Small Business Development Centers has experts located in nine main regional offices and several satellite centers statewide.

(Video) Business Permits and Licenses You Might Need | Startup 101

Our Guide to Starting a Business in Minnesotaprovides a detailed look at this and other important issues.


Licenses and Permits? ›

License vs. Permit
Licenses vs. Permits: What's the Difference?
Limitations and RestrictionsVery few, if anyMore restrictive than licenses
Style and ConditionOften permanent and may come in card formLess permanent, such as a paper or sticker
2 more rows

How much is a business license in GA? ›

2) Business License Registration

A buying service license is valid for one year and costs $50. The license must be renewed on an annual basis. You can learn about how to register for a business license or service license and download an application by visiting .

What is correct license or Licence? ›

License as a Noun: Spelling and Examples

In American English, the noun is spelled the same as the verb—license. But in British English, the noun is spelled licence. All the while, the meaning stays the same—permission, a permit, a document that states you are qualified or allowed to do something.

Business licenses and permits may be required by federal, state, and local authorities. How to figure out which apply to you and how to get them.

A nail salon or hairdresser must have a business permit and (usually) a health permit, and the nail technologist or hairdresser must be licensed.. Some cities or counties require a business license for new businesses, even if the business is already registered with the state as a corporation, partnership, or LLC.. A health permit, if your business sells or handles food products A building permit, if your business is in a new location or you are renovating an existing location A fire inspection and permit An ATF (alcohol, tobacco, or firearms) permit if you are selling any of these items.. In addition to local and state requirements, several federal agencies require may require you to have specific licenses, permits or certificates.. Your state will require you to have several different types of licenses and permits, depending on what kind of business you are starting, whether you have employees and if you are selling products or services.. Use the information to start making a list of the general licenses and permits you will need (the ones most businesses need), then add the special licenses and permits that you'll need for your specific business type.

Here's the scoop on business licenses for your ecommerce business

A Business Operation License allows your ecommerce business to conduct business in your city, county, or state.. Almost every ecommerce business will need a Business Operation License to operate in their city, county, or state.. Outside of a Sales Tax License, make sure to research whether there are any other tax permits required by the state you do business in.. Your business will need a Sales Tax License from one (or more) states to avoid tax penalties.. Many ecommerce business owners operate their companies from their homes.. Always check with your state and local jurisdictions to make sure you have every license and permit required to operate your company before you open for business so you can avoid unnecessary fines or notices.

This guide will walk you through the different types of business licenses and permits you may need, the different government agencies that issue them, and best practices for the application process.

Licenses.. Permits.. Business operations that are directly regulated by federal agencies must obtain permits or licenses from those agencies.. State.. Some type of state license or permit is required for nearly all businesses.. A state tax permit, for example, is required for any business (operating in states with sales tax) that sells products or services.. If your business is involved in activities supervised and regulated by a federal agency—including selling alcohol—then you may need to obtain a federal license or permit.. Note that this registration does not grant you a license to sell alcoholic beverage products—you must still contact your state or local licensing authority to obtain a retail license.. The following business types are always required to register with state agencies:. Local zoning regulations determine where certain types of businesses can and cannot operate.. You will need to obtain a special state license if your business involves the sale of alcohol, lottery tickets, gasoline or firearms.. Obtaining any relevant occupational licenses from the state government Note that the only licensing requirements you have to abide by are those in the state where your business is located—not where your customers are located.. Many cities and counties require home-based businesses to obtain a home occupation permit.

Before you can open a restaurant, there are a few licenses and permits you will need. Learn about some of the common required and location-specific permits.

To get a business license, you will want to work through your city and state government.. A business license can cost around $50 to register, however, the cost of the license itself varies depending on your business type, location, and expected profit.. The fees for food service license can vary by location and number of employees, but they can range from $100 to $1000.. Back to Top To apply for a sign permit, you will want to visit your local county government’s website for the steps and application.. Back to Top Aside from the required permits and licenses, there are others you may need to obtain depending on what additions you are looking to make to your restaurant.. The costs for the permit can vary depending on the placement and size of the dumpster, along with the location of your establishment.

Find out about the five licenses and permits you need to run a home-based business legally.

You are responsible for a sign permit if you intend to advertise on your property and you may need a separate sales tax license if it's not included in your business license.. LicensesPermitsExpiration and Validity Longer-term or permanentTemporary and require frequent renewal Limitations and Restrictions Very few, if anyMore restrictive than licenses Style and Condition Often permanent and may come in card formLess permanent, such as a paper or sticker. Any business, including home-based businesses, must obtain a local city or county business license.. If your city or county doesn't have a specific business licensing department, you can obtain information on obtaining a basic business license at your local tax office.. But a separate sales tax license is required in other areas in addition to a local business license.. The local department from which you obtain a business license can tell you if you must obtain a separate sales tax license and where to get it at either the state or local level.. Register your business with the appropriate state agency in order to get your business license so you can begin operations.. Almost all businesses require a general business license in order to operate, whether that's from an office or from home.. You may require a separate sales tax license if your state doesn't include it with your business license.

Presently we are only accepting applications for the issuance of new CPNCs for AT Taxicab (Wheelchair-accessible), Courtesy, Non-Emergency Medical Transportation, General Charter, and Sightseeing.

Presently we are only accepting applications for the issuance of new CPNCs for AT Taxicab (Wheelchair-accessible), Courtesy, Non-Emergency Medical Transportation, General Charter, and Sightseeing.. Certificates of Public Necessity (or CPNCs) are required of all for hire vehicles - AT Taxicab (Wheelchair-accessible), Pedicabs, Animal Drawn, Courtesy, Limousine, Taxicab, Non-Emergency Medical Transportation, General Charter, School Bus, Charter Party Carrier (Party Bus), Sightseeing - to ensure that every City of New Orleans’ citizen and visitor has access to safe, efficient, reliable, and accessible for hire transportation.. These service standards will ensure customer satisfaction and promote the core values and objectives of the New Orleans Taxicab and For Hire Vehicle Bureau.. No licenses shall be granted if the applicant fails to meet the requirements of Chapter 162 of the New Orleans City Code (“Chapter 162”)_ or if the applicant provides the Bureau with false, misleading or incomplete information.. Investigation by the Bureau revealing that the CPNC holder falsified or concealed information, which would have disqualified such applicant as a recipient of a CPNC license under this chapter, will result in denial of the CPNC licenses.. Proof of Residency (must be dated six months prior to application date and in applicants name) (Utility bill, water bill, landline telephone bill, mortgage statement or notarized rental agreement) DEADLINE: you must submit your completed application packet with all required documents by 3:00 pm on the 2nd Friday of every month prior to the scheduled public hearing .. If awarded a CPNC, you will be required to submit further documentation, including: Vehicle registration in the name of the applicant Proof of insurance (policy declaration, certificate of liability insurance – insurance requirement applies).. City of New Orleans Occupational License (one license required per business or individual, not per CPNC number) An original signed letter on company letterhead in which the CPNC will operate According to Section 162-199 of the City's municipal code, all CPNC holders must maintain a business office with a telephone number in the parish Depending on the specific type of CPNC, further restrictions and documentation may apply, please refer to the New Orleans City Code Section 162 .. Valid LA driver’s license or state ID (the address must match your proof of residence) Proof of Residence for at least 6 months from date of application.. Citizenship – acceptable documents: Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, valid U.S. Passport or Permanent Residence Card Proof of insurance relevant to the type of CPNC applied for.

If you are interested in operating a food truck in any of the yellow areas Indicated on the City's Food Truck Operating Areas Map, you must first obtain a City-issued food truck permit (mayoralty permit) and an occupational license. This page will help you understand how to apply, and If you are approved, what general requirements you will need to abide by.

If you are interested in operating a food truck in any of the yellow areas Indicated on the City's Food Truck Operating Areas Map , you must first obtain a City-issued food truck permit (mayoralty permit) and an occupational license.. Trucks can remain in one location no longer than 4 hours.. All vendors must provide a trash receptacle within three feet of the front or back of the truck on a public street.. No horns, amplification systems, or other sound-producing devices or music systems which can be heard outside of the truck may be used.. No third party advertising may be displayed on any mobile food truck.. No permit is valid in any area of the City that is the color blue on the City's Food Truck Operating Area's map.. If you desire to operate in a blue area, you must obtain a Franchise, approved by the City Council.. seq.. The application process begins with the City's One Stop for licenses and permits, which is located on the 7th floor of City Hall (1300 Perdido Street).. A copy of the mobile food truck's valid registration with the Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles.. All approvals, inspections, and certificates required by the State Department of Health and Hospitals.. All approvals, inspections, and certificates required by the New Orleans Fire Department.. No mobile food truck can exceed 26 feet in length or 8 feet in width.. You will also need to obtain an occupational license , which allows you to do business in New Orleans, in addition to the food truck permit (mayoralty permit), in order to lawfully operate your food truck.. Applying for and receiving this license is part of the permit application process, be sure that both items are included when you receive your permit.

It can take multiple business licenses and permits at the local, state, and federal levels to make your business a legal entity. Here's how to find them.

You’re legally in business.. Most likely, those would be three different applications, possibly involving you going to three different government departments to obtain them.. The federal government in the United States generally only requires permits and licenses for very specialized industries.. Permit types will, of course, vary by state and local law, but there are a few areas where you can almost always expect to be applying and paying for a permit or license.. If you are selling alcohol, your business and in some states your employees will need a liquor license to do so, which you can obtain at the state level.. If you are manufacturing alcohol, you will need a federal permit.

Sample Contracts and Business Agreements

Licenses and Permits Each Mortgagor covenants in the Mortgage Loan documents that it shall keep all material licenses, permits, franchises, certificates of occupancy and applicable governmental approvals necessary for the operation of the Mortgaged Property in full force and effect, and to the Mortgage Loan Seller’s knowledge based upon any of a letter from any government authorities, zoning consultant’s report or other affirmative investigation of local law compliance consistent with the investigation conducted by the Mortgage Loan Seller for similar commercial and multifamily mortgage loans intended for securitization; all such material licenses, permits, franchises, certificates of occupancy and applicable governmental approvals are in effect or the failure to obtain or maintain such material licenses, permits, franchises or certificates of occupancy and applicable governmental approvals does not materially and adversely affect the use and/or operation of the Mortgaged Property as it was used and operated as of the date of origination of the Mortgage Loan or the rights of a holder of the related Mortgage Loan.. Compliance with Laws; Licenses and Permits Sellers are not in violation of, nor have they failed to conduct their business with respect to the Acquired Assets in full compliance with, any applicable federal, state, local or foreign laws, regulations, rules, treaties, rulings, orders, directives or decrees.. Said licenses, permits, authorizations and franchises constitute all of the licenses, permits, authorizations and franchises necessary to permit Sellers to conduct their business with respect to the Acquired Assets in the manner in which it is now being conducted, and Sellers are not in violation or breach of any of the terms, requirements or conditions of any of said licenses, permits, authorizations or franchises.. Licenses and Permits; Compliance with Laws The Companies hold all governmental permits, licenses, authorizations, consents and approvals necessary for the Companies to own, lease, and operate their respective Properties and to operate their respective businesses as now being conducted (collectively, the "Permits"), except for Permits the failure of which to obtain is not reasonably likely to have a Material Adverse Effect.. The businesses of the Companies are not being conducted in violation of any applicable law, statute, ordinance, regulation, judgment, Permits, order, decree, concession, grant or other authorization of any governmental entity, except for violations that are not reasonably likely to have a Material Adverse Effect.. Compliance with Laws, Contracts, Licenses, and Permits (a) The Borrower will, and will cause each of its Subsidiaries to, comply with (i) the applicable laws and regulations wherever its business is conducted, including all Environmental Laws and the Communications Act, (ii) the provisions of its Governing Documents, (iii) all agreements and instruments by which it or any of its properties may be bound and (iv) all applicable decrees, orders, and judgments, unless failure to comply could not reasonably be expected to cause a Material Adverse Effect.. The Company has obtained and holds all material permits, licenses, variances, exemptions, orders, franchises, approvals and authorizations of all Governmental Authorities necessary for the lawful conduct of its business and the lawful ownership, use and operation of the Assets (the “Company Permits”), except for the Company Permits which the failure to obtain or hold would not, individually or in the aggregate, result in a Material Adverse Change.. All of the Company Permits are in full force and effect and no action or claim is pending nor, to the Knowledge of Sellers, is threatened to revoke or terminate any Company Permit or declare any Company Permit invalid in any material respect.. EXECUTION. Consents and Permits Except as disclosed in the Registration Statement and the Prospectus, the Company and its Subsidiaries have made all filings, applications and submissions required by, possesses and is operating in compliance with, all approvals, licenses, certificates, certifications, clearances, consents, grants, exemptions, marks, notifications, orders, permits and other authorizations issued by, the appropriate federal, state or foreign Governmental Authority (including, without limitation, the United States Food and Drug Administration (the “FDA”), the United States Drug Enforcement Administration or any other foreign, federal, state, provincial, court or local government or regulatory authorities including self-regulatory organizations engaged in the regulation of clinical trials, pharmaceuticals, biologics or biohazardous substances or materials) necessary for the ownership or lease of their respective properties or to conduct its businesses as described in the Registration Statement and the Prospectus (collectively, “Permits”), except for such Permits the failure of which to possess, obtain or make the same would not have a Material Adverse Effect; the Company and its Subsidiaries are in compliance with the terms and conditions of all such Permits, except where the failure to be in compliance would not have a Material Adverse Effect; all of the Permits are valid and in full force and effect, except where any invalidity, individually or in the aggregate, would not be reasonably expected to have a Material Adverse Effect; and neither the Company nor any of its Subsidiaries has received any written notice relating to the limitation, revocation, cancellation, suspension, modification or non-renewal of any such Permit which, singly or in the aggregate, if the subject of an unfavorable decision, ruling or finding, would have a Material Adverse Effect, or has any reason to believe that any such license, certificate, permit or authorization will not be renewed in the ordinary course.. Possession of Licenses and Permits The Company and its subsidiaries possess such permits, licenses, approvals, consents and other authorizations (collectively, "Governmental Licenses") issued by the appropriate federal, state, local or foreign regulatory agencies or bodies necessary to conduct the business now operated by them; the Company and its subsidiaries are in compliance with the terms and conditions of all such Governmental Licenses, except where the failure so to comply would not, singly or in the aggregate, have a Material Adverse Effect; all of the Governmental Licenses are valid and in full force and effect, except when the invalidity of such Governmental Licenses or the failure of such Governmental Licenses to be in full force and effect would not have a Material Adverse Effect; and neither the Company nor any of its subsidiaries has received any notice of proceedings relating to the revocation or modification of any such Governmental Licenses which, singly or in the aggregate, if the subject of an unfavorable decision, ruling or finding, would result in a Material Adverse Effect.. Assignment of Licenses and Permits Assign or transfer any of its interest in any Permits or Reimbursement Contracts (including rights to payment thereunder) pertaining to the Facility, or assign, transfer, or remove or permit any other Person to assign, transfer, or remove any records pertaining to the Facility including, without limitation, resident records, medical and clinical records (except for removal of such resident records as directed by the residents owning such records and except as may be required by law), without Lender’s prior written consent, which consent may be granted or refused in Lender’s sole discretion.. The Company and each of its Subsidiaries are in compliance in all material respects with the terms and conditions of such Licenses and have received no notices that they are in violation of any of the terms or conditions of such Licenses.. Except as indicated on the Permits Schedule, all of the Licenses shall survive the transactions contemplated hereby.


1. Business License for Clothing Boutiques: LLC, Seller's Permit & more!
(Let's Build a Boutique)
(Troyia Monay)
3. Seller's Permit vs. Business License
(Helping Entrepreneurs Start Their Business! 🚀)
4. How to find out what licenses and permits are needed to open a business
(Start & Grow Your Business)
5. The Surprising Reason It’s So Important To Get Business Permits and Licenses
(Credit Suite)
6. Knowing Rights - Licenses & Permits
(Reversing The Spell)

You might also like

Latest Posts

Article information

Author: Greg O'Connell

Last Updated: 10/06/2022

Views: 6146

Rating: 4.1 / 5 (42 voted)

Reviews: 81% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Greg O'Connell

Birthday: 1992-01-10

Address: Suite 517 2436 Jefferey Pass, Shanitaside, UT 27519

Phone: +2614651609714

Job: Education Developer

Hobby: Cooking, Gambling, Pottery, Shooting, Baseball, Singing, Snowboarding

Introduction: My name is Greg O'Connell, I am a delightful, colorful, talented, kind, lively, modern, tender person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.