Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to enable organizations to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media. Muck Rack’s Public Relations Management (PRM) platform enables PR teams to work together to find the right journalists for their stories, send customized pitches, build meaningful relationships with the media, monitor news, and quantify their impact.
Founder controlled, fully distributed, and growing sustainably, Muck Rack has received several awards for its unparalleled culture and product from organizations like Inc., G2, and BuiltIn. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, & customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
We’re looking for a talented, passionate, and empathetic UX Writer to join Muck Rack’s product organization.
As our first UX Writer on the team, you will take ownership of all verbal content and writing standards across our customer experience, from labels, to error messages, to notifications, to iterative enhancements, to large system-wide initiatives, and more. We are seeking someone who has a proven track record of using language to create intuitive and delightful customer experiences that align with our key business goals.
While adhering to our brand guidelines, you'll apply and extend our established brand tone and voice. More than anything, you’ll use words to help our customers understand the Muck Rack platform and get the most value from it. You know when simple, brief copy is best, and when it’s ok to have a little fun.
This role is for you if you describe yourself as a data-driven storyteller who is comfortable building and maintaining a content design system. You ask big questions, set big goals, and can execute at a high level. You’ll partner with our Product Designers, Researchers, Product Managers, Marketing and Customer Success and Support teams.
What you’ll do:
- Advocate for language in product design
- Complete content audits, inventories, and content mapping activities and make recommendations for improvements
- Ideate, write, manage and govern content across all Muck Rack touchpoints
- Develop and maintain UX copy guidelines and tone-of-voice to meet the needs of our users and ensures a cohesive narrative that communicates the brand
- Write with consideration to localization, accessibility, and inclusivity
- Partner with Researchers to test and validate content and taxonomy decisions across Muck Rack touchpoints
- Use data and strategic reasoning to support content recommendations
- Participate in human-centered design workshops
How success will be measured in this role:
- Definition of how Muck Rack’s voice and tone is applied within the Muck Rack platform
- Consistent application of Muck Rack’s voice and tone across our customer experience
- Successful delivery of content that addresses user needs and initiative-specific objectives (e.g., acquisition, adoption, retention) within our marketing and growth teams
If the details below describe you, you could be a great fit for this role:
- You feel at home within a UX team. You are a strong writer and communicator and are comfortable defining and executing content design systems
- Have a portfolio of writing samples showcasing how your copy simplified and enhanced digital experiences and products. It should illustrate your experience in the design process, how you arrived at your solutions, and the impact of your work
- 3+ years as a UX writer, content strategist, content manager, journalist, or content designer
- Experience and ability to create clear documentation for dos and don'ts of voice and tone for Muck Rack content
- Passionate about consistency and details
- Experience in working and collaborating with diverse cross-functional teams (product managers, visual designers, engineers, analytics, UX researchers, etc…) in a dynamic, rapid growth environments
- Enthusiasm and a passion for good content and how it can make our products and business better
- Experience translating brand into product and aligning voice and tone across the customer experience
- Naturally curious, empathetic, humble and passionate about human-centered design
- Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, keep organized, and multitask in an agile environment
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for our UX Writer role. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- A 1 hour zoom interview with the hiring manager
- Panel Interviews with several team members across product and customer success teams
- Case study presentation
- A final interview with hiring manager
In the US, the starting salary for this role is between $110,000 - $131,000+, depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards.
Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
Why Muck Rack?
Remote Work, Forever. We’re a fully distributed team and have pledged to remain that way forever. We offer employees a full home office setup, phone & internet reimbursement, and a monthly coworking membership. We build culture through virtual and in-person team bonding opportunities including team lunches, friendly competitions, and celebratory events!
Transparent Compensation. We offer competitive geo-neutral pay in the U.S. and review compensation at least once annually to ensure internal equity and alignment with the external market. Depending on the role, we offer either a standardized bonus program or attainable commission structure and an opportunity to earn equity in the company. All employees are eligible for our 401(k) plan* with employer contributions.
Health & Wellness*. Muck Rack provides comprehensive health, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employees and their families. We offer two plans with 100% premium coverage for individuals and 85% premium coverage for dependents, as well as a range of other plans. Our team also has access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, as well as FSA and HSA options. Team members have access to a quarterly wellness stipend and a free Headspace subscription.
PTO and Family Benefits. Our team enjoys 4+ weeks of off-the-grid PTO, plus paid sick/mental health days, summer Fridays, and 13 paid holidays. In order to combat Zoom fatigue and allow for deep work without interruption, we have implemented “No Internal Meeting Fridays” year round. We also provide up to 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave.
Personal & Professional Development. We grow talent by creating internal pathways for advancement and promotion. Muck Rack conducts bi-annual performance reviews, hosts team-wide workshops, and offers management training and leadership training opportunities. We also provide unlimited subscriptions to L&D platforms including Coursera & O’Reilly, as well as 2 additional days of PTO to dedicate to learning and development.
Culture of Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives breed innovation and help us better serve our customers. We are committed to ensuring employees feel their identities are valued and that people of all backgrounds and points of view are treated equitably.
Customer-First. Founder-controlled means we have the freedom to be nimble, highly collaborative and innovative, building forward-thinking products that enable 3,000+ companies around the world to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media.
*These benefits are specific to US-based employees. In some, but not all, cases we are able to offer equivalent benefits to employees located outside of the United States.
If you're excited about an opportunity at Muck Rack but your experience doesn't align perfectly with the requirements of the role outlined here, please don't let it stop you from applying. We're committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we want to hear from you. You may be a great fit for this role or another position on our team. We deliberately encourage individuals from all backgrounds, including race, gender identity, sexual orientation, and disability status to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer and we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process and candidate experience.